Home > Pictures > Growth of Overton > Growth 1 - Early Days to 1942
Click image to see full size version
Click to view full size image
The Begining - 1214 Onwards
THIS GROUP OF GALLERIES - GROWTH OF OVERTON - IS WORK IN PROGRESS.

Overton has existed as a settlement for about 800 years. Originally located to the north of the river it was re-established as a new market town in its present position in about 1214. The venture was successful. The original 22 plots for houses increased to 40 in 6 years and about 80 by the middle of the 13th century.

(The painting dates from 1785. For more information see St Mary's Church in Places of Worship).
2015_03_Oton_devel_map002.jpg 1_-_05_1CR0015E.jpg 2015_02Map_1765001w.jpg 2014_01_R_J_Smith___Co_001w.jpg BFB_Overton_rail_station_c_19005E.jpg